Sunday, February 8, 2009

Pray for Australia.

This week has been a devastating week in our nation's history. I have watched online as parts of our beautiful country have been burned to the ground. My heart so aches for those who have lost loved ones, for those who have lost everything to this disaster, and I want to do something about it. But I am here in Canada, in a snow-covered national park, well on the other side of the planet. What can I do? I feel helpless as the news unfolds, and the death toll rises, it all seems so far-removed from reality. But it is real. And it is happening in our own backyards.

I am watching with some amusement as people join facebook groups dedicated to supporting the firefighters in their vital work as these fires continue to destroy homes, families and lives. And yet, I will not join these groups... why? Because in all reality, it's trivial to me. I won't join a group that I have no intention of giving money to. But I want to do something. Something physical. Something to help. So here is my plan.

I am going to fast. I am going to pray. And I am going to do it genuinely seeking God's intervention for the lives of others in this time that has been described as "Hell on Earth". Too often we forget the power of prayer, even though it says in the bible "If my people will humble themselves and pray, turn from their sins, I will heal their land."

So here is my contribution. Prayer won't change what's already happened, but I firmly believe it will change what is to come. Prayer can change my nation.

Beth. x

No comments: